The yoga mat is a direct reflection of our lives. The way we approach the yoga mat tells us everything we need to know about how we approach life. And yoga is about being present. It’s about listening to your body’s needs, rather than just ticking a box. The real yoga comes with the subtleties of the practice as you learn to tune into yourself and where are are at ‘this moment’.
The first way to develop your yoga practice is to develop a connection with your body. Each day, you will feel different – depending on many life-factors and respecting this is key to managing your energy. Let’s begin with a basic sun salutation. These can be practised slowly and mindfully, feeling every muscle and ligament as you work it. Or you can practice very quickly to create some heat in the body if you are feeling really sluggish. If your energy feels like nervous energy – then try to listen to that and a slower, more mindful practice will definitely be beneficial.
Our top tips before you start. Let your breath guide you. Keep it slow. Inhale to open and lengthen the body and exhale to come into the space your have discovered with your inhale.
* Stand at the front of your mat with your arms by your sides – root down through your feet
* Inhale lifting the arms up and exhale to hinge from the hips and dive down
* Inhale to lengthen the spine and look up
* Exhale to step back to a plank pose
* Inhale to activate and inflate the body in plank
* Exhale knees, chin chest
* Inhale to a cobra (activating your legs)
* Exhale to a downward dog
* Take five breaths here – feeling every muscle and keep the body moving
* Inhale up to your tip toes and look forward
* Exhale to step to the front of your mat
* Inhale to lengthen the spine
* Exhale forward bend
* Inhale to press down through your heels and rise up
* Exhale hands in namaste at your heart
Try this same flow as slowly as you can do, then try it a little faster. Try to always synchronise your movements with your breath and if you lose your breath, stop and recalibrate. Try holding each pose for five breaths for a real strength builder. Always listen to your body. If it doesn’t feel good – then don’t do it! Why not challenge yourself to 10 sun salutations each morning for a week – and see what that does to your energy? Namaste…
For a private class with Ibiza Retreats or to join us on retreat to go deeper into your practice, email firstname.lastname@example.org