There is no excerpt because this is a protected post.
As the festive season approaches, most of us will over-indulge with food & drinks that can leave us feeling miserable & sluggish. So here’s a nourishing easy quick and affordable recipe that will fill you and the family up in all the right ways.
Butternut Squash Stew.
1 Butternut Squash
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of cayenne
small jar of organic tomatoes (or 3 finely chopped tomatoes)
1 jar of Organic chick peas (or 1 cup dried and soaked overnight)
2 large handfuls of kale.
1 gluten free vegetable stock cube
1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast (optional)
Quinoa or brown rice to serve alongside.
Heat a teaspoon of coconut oil and fry the garlic for just 1 minute so it doesn’t burn and add all the spices. Chop the butternut squash into cubes and add. Once you smell the spices, add the stock which you have added to 750ml boiling water, and then the organic tomatoes (if using fresh add them at the beginning before the stock) Bring to the boil and then simmer for around 20 minutes (until the butternut squash is tender) Next, add the chick peas, kale, lime & nutritional yeast and leave to simmer for another 10 minutes)
In the photo, mine is served with mixed red & white quinoa which adds even more to the wonderful colours of the dish.
This recipe is a perfectly balanced dish, providing plenty of protein from the chickpeas & quinoa, carbohydrates from the butternut squash. It’s also a good source of of B6 which is essential for our nervous system & immune system, and the kale – which I refer to as the ‘King of Greens’ as it is a nutritional powerhouse; super-high in nutrients, such as Iron. vitamin k and vitamin C.
This is a great meal for all the family – warming, filling and packed full of nutrients – and so simple to make!
Made with love, by Lisa Strong of Strong 4 Life Nutrition
7 Top Tips for Turning Inward this Autumn
To embrace the seasonal change, you can ride the slower rhythms and, just like the leaves fall gently to the earth, begin to let go of lifestyle choices and actions that sit better with the brighter days and shorter nights of summer-time. This less-is-more approach as you head into the mists and mellow fruitfulness of Autumn, will create the space to reflect, to “be” more with yourself, to observe what YOU need to feel good in the darker months . And even when there is nothing to “do” isn’t it all to easy to get sucked back into the screens and social media. Indeed, whilst the nights draw in, how do you NOT get drawn in to the energy-sucking online spirals but rather ride the essence of the autumnal energy? Well….
Here are 7 mindful Tips for turning inward holistically….
Calm and clear your mind, soothe your nervous system, nourish yourself physically and emotionally AND enable your summer-glow to last more sustainably…
(1) Create a clear and retreat-ful space
Zen-your-space – with an autumnal clean. Phone a friend to do this with you for their objective “refuse or recycle” focused approach and enjoy the head and heart space that this enables.
(2) Set the mood – with candles and music
Invest in candle to create a sense of warmth and harmony at home. Candles raise the vibration of the room that they are in and the soft light invites the mind to soften too, whilst using lemongrass or neroli (the oil from orange blossom) will gently uplift you after the sun has passed the horizon, geranium is rebalancing and rose heart-opening. Music – that is, the RIGHT type of truly “enlightening” music will gently raise your frequency, the vibrational frequency of YOU at a cellular level. Explore mantras and world-music that uplifts and inspires.
(3) Monitor and limit your screen-time
Rather than stimulating your mind and your neural circuitry, turn OFF the input min 2 hours before you go to sleep, choose to read, write, draw, meditation, sing… rest… be. In essence, tune in to YOU and you will feel more present, centered and HAPPIER guaranteed!
(4) Soup it up! – with mother natures’ medicine cabinet
Seasonal fruits, depending on where you live, will give your system exactly what it needs to replenish after the exertive summer heat. From apples to persimmons, pomegranates to pears. And whilst the sunlight added zing to your summer stride, its time to dive in with deep earthy flavours from root vegetables, and more carbohydrate based squashes and tubers to give you the extra energy your body craves. Warm your soul with cayenne pepper, turmeric and ginger as natural antibacterials and “inner-heat”makers to prevent colds and why not dare to forage! Soothe your kidneys and rebalance adrenals with fresh nettle tea.
(5) Relax and reflect – with meditations, baths and journals
Summer invites you to go-go-go, to seize the moment and stay out later at night. So now embrace the earlier nights, indulge in warm baths, hot water bottles and cosy bedtimes so you can write in your journal, review your learnings and your letting go’s, celebrate your successes and connect more deeply with your inner-stirrings… wishes, desires and dreams. Press play on a downloadable meditation…. Or 2! Simply creating the space for new insights to arise gives permission for your soul to speak…. And when you are doing less, you can listen more, and more, easily.
(6) Open your heart…. And breathe
Yet to keep the pranic energy flowing and to awaken WITHOUT caffeine to over-stimulate, stretch your arms wide in bed in the morning and inhale over and above your ahead to invite your diaphragm to expand, your inhale to deepen and more oxygen to rush in. Exhale navel to spine to connect your core and contain the energy. Repeat 10 times and repeat again when standing on the floor.
(7) Put your legs up the wall every evening (in Viparita Karani)
The ultimate “deep trance” VIP yoga asana – this easy-to-do posture is a gentle inversion, optimizing blood-flow to your kidneys and adrenals, calming the mind, soothing your parasympathetic nervous system so that you can rest, digest and eliminate – at every level…. Optimizing you holistically for that deep, delicious sleep.
- find a clear wall space
- place a yoga mat, towel or blanket on the floor
- sit sideways on to wall
- raise legs up to the sky as you lie back on the floor
- turn your toes towards your face
- place your hands on your belly, thumbs and fore-fingers touching
- enjoy long-slow deep full yogic breaths (belly, diaphragm, heart and reversed)
Om Shanti Om!
November 9 – 14th relax for 4 nights & 5 days in stunning Atzaro Spa-Agroturismo – Join Larah, Ann & team to welcome Mothers to retreat with much-deserved love relaxation and pampering. Join us for sacred time for restoring your strength and wellbeing through daily morning yoga and pilates, gentle coaching, sharing circles, rejuvenating massages, sumptuous brunches & healthy and nutritious cuisine, heart-felt treatments, massage & reflexology workshops for bonding with your baby. From 1499 GBP / 1799 EUROS all inc. single occupancy for mother & baby. Including 4 hours daily babysitting!
Enjoy vital you-time in Atzaro’s beautiful balinese spa. Swim in the lap-pool amidst the orange trees, receive pampering, healing treatments from our world-class team. Larah & Ann’s compassionate hosting includes Life and wellness coaching 1:1’s so we can tailor-make your time to meet your specific needs, and in sharing circles with other mothers to help you rediscover your self and your space – time and physical and emotional needs within your new role as a mother. Leave refreshed, rejuvenated and relaxed with a “Moga” (mummy & baby yoga) self-practice designed just for you – and a holistic wellbeing life-strategy to support you back in reality.
** Including 4 hrs babysitting daily and care for each mother & baby’s special requirements and needs. Read all about it here and we are very happy to Skype to discuss your specific needs.
Many of our wonderful clients come to retreat with us in Ibiza to reconnect with their passions, their purpose and their life force energy. So here is some self-Life-Coaching to empower you, wherever you are in the world. Here are some simple and easy techniques to support you to channel your energy positively this springtime and reap the rewards all year. How? Start by asking yourself honestly:
* Are you doing what you really love? Are you loving what you do?
* Do you spring out of bed each Monday morning full of the juice of life… inspired and ready to embrace new opportunities… Or…
* Are you feeling kind of “blue”, lacking motivation, or simply confused about what you are really here for? What your purpose is? Or how and where to invest your time and energy to be successful, healthy and happy?
When you are doing what you really love – whether that’s being a parent to your children, growing your business or sewing new creative seeds – energy flows freely. When you are putting your passion into your action (and following your dreams) you are sure to succeed more easily. It really is that simple: do what you feel passionate about. Why? Lets look at the word itself – and passion’s intrinsic meaning:
Passion = Pass I On = passing on the BEST of yourself
Passion = Pass ION = passing on your ENERGY
Live your Passion = the keys:
(1) Watch the children: Have you ever noticed how little children are simply full of energy? They are fully immersed in the moment – in whatever it is that they are doing…. in the experience.
(2) Do what feels good! Choose to follow your joy & set your spirit free: Children follow their joy and do what feels good (rather than what they are being told they have to do). And your spirit, your free spirit is essentially this same inner-child: you are in touch with your free spirit when you are feeling full of love for life, have that sense of “Karpe die” and want to “seize the day”. This is when you are “in the moment”, spontaneously flowing from experience to experience and are feeling the joy, happiness that comes from being connected to this same source energy that connects us all, that gives this feeling of pure love, pleasure and ease.
(3) Rediscover what you are most passionate about (and delegate more responsibilities): If you have forgotten what you are passionate about or are feeling low or listless or unclear about how to focus and channel your energy this year, reconnect with your inner-child by doing something to purely HAVE FUN this spring-time. Without any goals, or required results… notice what you love doing, what brings you good feelings… purely from the experience. How can you bring this into your life? How can you create your week to create more time for what brings you true pleasure? How can you share and delegate your responsibilities differently?
Give it a go – have more FUN – lighten-up and be childlike and innocent in your appreciation of life – even for one week – and we guarantee that you will then spend your spring & summer feeling fulfilled with plenty of that same limitless energy for life that allows your happiness to flow freely.